Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: Montag 11. April 2011, 06:07 

Mercedes-Benz Club: Philippines
Hello,

I have a 1999 SLK 230 Kompressor.. about 14 months ago sometime in january 2010, I checked the level of transmission fluid and I found it to be 25% range.. I have to buy the special transmission dipstick since the car did not come with it.. I filled it up to 100% level, passed the 80% level.. By Feb 2010, I deployed for 14 months to the war zone and just got back last week.. Last June 2010, I was told by my wife that the SLK 230 transmission was acting funny.. While the car is cold, the transmission will shift to 1st gear without touching any lever.. I told them to park the car before it gets worse.. As soon as I got home I checked the level while the engine was cold.. it was 50% on the dipstick.!! I added a little bit more ATF to fill the gap.. I drove the car around and it was shifting properly.. I could not duplicate the shifting to low gear while the car was running..

All I can think of was it was overserviced cause I did not have any problem with shifting while it was at 25% before I deployed to the war zone.. the problem only occured after I service it before I deployed..!! Have anyone experience this phenomena with you SLK 230 Kompressor..??

Please advice.. I plan to drain the entires transmission fluid, flush the gears for grimmy buildups, change the filter, double check the magnest to insure no metal shaving are present. with the oil..

99' R170 (MerZydita) /04
91' R129 (Juliet) /10
89' W124 (Shaina) /11
63' W110 (Frau Ingge) /12

Profil Private Nachricht senden  

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Montag 11. April 2011, 06:16 

Cmdr ... flush and filter change first ... then observe! if you have a tranny leak, now's the time to repair it too!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 13. April 2011, 05:38 

To All,

Well I have a very long weekend.. My first weekend back in the California was busy weekend.. I stayed almost two days in my friends auto shop tending to MerZydita and Juliet... MerZydita case was worse.. After I for deployment I added some ATF fluid since the level was low 25%.. Six months after I deployed my wife and son complained that MerZydita was shifting to low gear involuntarily.. They took it to several independent Mercedes Benz shops and diagnosis was transmission overhaul ranging from $1500 to $4000 costs.. :o :o Diagnosis includes speed sensors, shifting solenoid and even worse, the computer box has virus in it.. However, when it was hooked up to scanner, there was no error code.. I told my wife and son to park the car inside the garage and wait till I get back.. :( :(

After I got home I checked the ATF fluid level and saw it at 50% level.. I added half a quart and test drove the car for two hours but did not duplicate the downshifting.. I could not believe that the car was broke.. I decided to remove some of the AFT Fluid, maybe it was overserviced and it is causing the transmission to downshift.. I bought the rubber gasket, transmission filter, ATF and went to work.. :o After several Corona's, :lol: :lol: I drained the transmission fluid into a container.. The ATF was so dark it looks like used engine oil.. I removed 6 star screws and dropped the ATF fan.. To my surprize the bottom of the ATF pan had residue of oil like goooey sediments.. :o :o It looks like an gulaman.. it was almost solid sediments.. :evil: :evil:

Well there was the culprit.. I guess I everytime the car was due for service while I was deployed from 2002 to 2008, the dealer just added more ATF.. :twisted: :evil: When ATF change was due at 80,000 miles, the dealer did not change it.. So much for customer service to the US Military personnel deployed in the war zone.. :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway, I cleaned the bottom of the ATF pan, cleaned the transmission, and reinstall the ATF pan.. and pour five liters of ATF into the transmission.. checked the fluid level and test drove the car.. The shifting was smooth and there was no issues.. I will drive it for a couple of days before I bring it back to the shop to checked the transmission bottom for leaks.. I will drive it for couple of months and change the ATF again.. :D :D

Boy that was a load off my shoulder.. I hope this solved my transmission problem.. :lol: :lol:

CDR Joseph "Barook" Agra III USN is back..!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

99' R170 (MerZydita) /04
91' R129 (Juliet) /10
89' W124 (Shaina) /11

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 13. April 2011, 05:43 

Glad to have you (and the SLK) back!

Any update on the SL issues?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mittwoch 13. April 2011, 05:47 

To All,

Lesson Learned from this event.. Always make sure you check and verify that the ATF fluid was drained and replaced with a new one.. even licensed dealer and independent Mercede Benz shops are prone to cheat unsuspecting Benz owner.. :) :) :( :(

I spent over $1000 every service for MerZydita, everytime I was deployed serving my country and I get the shaft.. It is always better to do it yourself.. :o :o :wink: :wink:

@lowslowmerc = thanks for the advise, that was my plan from th ebeginning.. I didn't believe the diagnosis of the several independent and Mercedes Benz dealers regarding transmission overhaul.. Mercedes benz are built to last 300,000 miles before any major breakdown and it was not even driven rough driving..

@Patrick = yes it's good to be back in the good old USA, but I am retiring soon and I will be moving back to Philippines.. California living is just to fast pace for me.. Its time to relax and enjoy my retirements.. Yes I fixed Juliet minors glitches, it's more annoying than defects but if you don't fix it , it will get worse..

99' R170 (MerZydita) /04
91' R129 (Juliet) /10
89' W124 (Shaina) /11